…the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.
Most of us would like to believe that we are kind, but for me kindness is connected to mindfulness, you have to actively experience it to truly understand how impactful it can be. Rather than a passing act, eg donating clothes to charity rather than putting in the bin. Putting the old couch on the roadside (hoping that someone will take it rather than taking to the dump) and then saying oh I gave it to someone in need.
Often we dismiss kindness as something we already do, some consider it a soft almost fluffy act, sometimes with little meaning and no real thought behind it.
Kindness connects us to others and once we go out of our way to be kind, or observe a random act of kindness; we can truly appreciate the full impact it can bring to someone’s life.
A mindful act of kindness could be seen as having a cost to ourselves, whether that be time or money. There needs to be thought and effort on our part. In the act of being kind our brains release chemicals in the form of serotonin, dopamine and oxytocin, similar to those released when we fall in love, hence we have that nice warm glow.
There is currently research being undertaken to determine if kindness is within our genes, to date three genes have potentially been identified. In time we may know why some people are naturally kind and some are not. Most importantly, kindness can be developed via mindfulness.
Examples of kindness,
…random or otherwise that you can engage in today:
- Pay a compliment to a stranger
- Take the time to talk to someone and really listen, someone you may normally avoid
- Hold open a door
- Pay for someone’s coffee
- Leave flowers on someone’s desk
- Hide a note for a loved one
- Make someone their favourite meal for no reason
- Let someone cut in line
- Take a cake to work for no reason
- If you call someone on a schedule eg Mum every Sunday at 10.00 am, call out of schedule
- Send a personalised hand written letter to someone
- Give blood if you are able
- Tell someone you love them, just because
When you start to think about it the list is limitless. One I used to like doing before technology put a halt to it, was to pay the toll for the car behind me
What is something you like to do? Whatever it is mindfully do more, release those chemicals and feel good.
Have a great day.